I need some help...

/
1 Comments
So I have been thinking recently about bikes. I have had my Specialized Epic Expert since 2007. I have had thousands of brilliant miles on the bike. And it has been a perfect bike for my riding needs. But within the last 12 months there has been a lot of developments on the MTB front. Possibly the biggest development is the introduction of a full range of 29-inch bikes from hardtails to full suspension rigs. From triple cog blades to dual and single cogs upfront. And a whole range rear cassette ratios.

Whilst my Epic is still up to the job, with a couple of key component replacements - I have begun entertaining the idea of introducing a 29er to the biking stable. But I need to know how will a 29er HT run as an endurance bike, doing an event like the TransRockies - or will I need/should I to stick to a full suspension setup. Will the benefits of of the 29er be outweighed by the comfort and ride quality of a full suspension?

The bike that I am looking at is a Specialized Stumpjumper Evo 29er. It has a hardtail setup which will be the biggest difference to my current bike. But from a performance point of view the gearing setup changes from a 3X9 gear setup to a 1X10 setup. It is the same as the middle blade only - so will that be too limiting doing a ride like the TransRockies?

Other than the gear setup, this bike has awesome components and has some great reviews. But the reviewers have been riding it on trails and 'shorter' outings. I go from thinking that it would be an awesome option for a TransRockies bike - to thinking that it may be a bit too purist for an epic event like this?

Please leave your comment below on what bike you think I should do the TransRockies on in 2012?  If you suggest I look at another bike - I welcome any suggestions.


You may also like

1 comment:

  1. I've been through the "bike selection for TR" thing too..see my thoughts here if you're interested http://tinyurl.com/66aar5s - I eventually chose a Trek Fuel EX for my second TR - first time was on a 30lb full sus - I noticed the weight on the hike-a-bike sections!!!

    ReplyDelete