Tour Divide 2015 - Letter of Intent

/
2 Comments

The first time round when I wrote this post, in November 2012,  I simply rattled off on my keyboard the intention to challenge myself by undertaking the Tour Divide in June 2013. 

However, since that initial failed attempt, the task of putting pen to paper on this subject, has taken much greater commitment, thought and healthy dose of trepidation knowing now what is really means to ride the Tour Divide.

Not a day goes by that I don't think about this race and my initial attempt to complete the journey to Mexico. It was a harsh reality in 2013 that I was indeed not going to make it to Mexico. After everything that had gone into preparing, it was a massive disappointment. All the hours of training, gear purchased, time off from work and family plus all the support from my extended family and friends. "Calling it" from The Garage bike shop in Helena, MT was one of the hardest decisions I have had to take in my life. However, those initial days on the Tour Divide, were a steep learning curve for me, as it was my first real attempt on an ultra-bikepacking adventure.

But my letter of intent is at a point of looking forward, to 2015, rather than looking back to what could of been in 2013. I have learnt a lot since then and my approach to this race will be very different. I have take the time to refine my choice of gear, will be studying and strategizing the  route to give myself the best possible chance to make it to Banff. I have taken a very different approach to preparing my body physically this time round to hopefully give myself a fighting chance to get to Antelope Wells.

Having experienced the thrill and camaraderie of the Grand Depart, I will again be rolling up to the start line in Banff and make a southbound attempt of the Tour Divide route. As I sit here in Canada tonight on the eve of winter, with 236 days days to go through some of the most spectacular scenery I have ever ridden through I am excited, but wary of the work that will need to be done to ensure I give myself the best possible chance.

When people ask me though what's the one one thing that I will look forward to the most? It has to be the time alone, all by yourself, with no connection to the outside world.  It is truly something beautiful, that some people today will never get to experience in their constantly connected lifetime.  So after this post goes live, my intent will be lodged and I will become focused on getting the work done and everything else that is needed to get me to Antelope Wells in 2015. 






You may also like

2 comments:

  1. Dave,

    I recall meeting you early in the morning between Ovando and Lincoln when you staggered out from the side of the road with your totally trashed Achilles tendons. Making it to Helena was an amazing achievement and I look forward to you conquering the best in 2015. And writing about it for the Cordillera Volume 7! Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dave, when is the date for the letter of intention for TD 2015 and where to send it? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete