Gear Review - "Fred Bar" by Siren Bicycles

/
1 Comments
The growing popularity of ultra endurance bikepacking has resulted in a massive amount of custom gear and bike setups. One of the more popular pieces of gear and in my opinion a necessity for a ride like the Tour Divide, is a pair of aero-bars. However, one of the biggest challenges in installing and using them on a regular mountain bike setup is that they are generally too low down and too far forward resulting in a far from perfect riding position to benefit 100% from their intended use.

During my Tour Divide ride in 2013 the most I could spend on them was about 10 minutes before getting 'pain' in my lower back. After looking around at the different options (spacer's, adjustable aero-bars etc) I came across a simple, yet effective piece of gear that solves that problem and provides a solution to another - space in the cockpit.

Fred Bar Installed on my Tour Divide rigEnter the Fred bar by Siren Bicycles. This simple, quality piece of gear has been one of my most exciting pieces of gear I have bought for my bike recently. It simply installs on the headset with a couple of clamp bolts. The Fred bar then allows the aero-bars to be installed closer down the stem in a position that is more normal and considerably easier to ride in.  The other benefit of this setup is that is also raises the aero-bars a few centimeters higher than the previous position on the handlebars. My one concern with this setup was that I was going to knock my knees on them in certain riding positions - but to date I have not made contact with them.

I ordered the part directly from Siren Bicycles who were an absolute pleasure to deal with - It is great dealing with folk who are truly passionate about bikes and it shows in the quality of their products. Sure, there may be cheaper options out there but I would not want to trust them on a Tour Divide type route.  This is a light, but quality made piece of gear that I would argue is a necessity if installing aero-bars on a mountain bike.

On testing the setup, I have found that I get down in the aeros a lot more often, the riding position is super comfortable and I can be in the position for as long as I want. Being comfortable and confident on the bars also means I can ride them through all kinds of terrain and even on some inclines!  The other benefit of the Fred bar is that is frees up a whole lot of space to mount things on your handlebars  which is a bonus for all the bit and pieces when kitting out a Tour Divide rig.




You may also like

1 comment:

  1. Great to read your musings and info as you prepare. I had some aero bars on my bike last year in my Tour attempt, hardly ever used them. Of course, I only made it to Butte, MO. I know there is a lot of "road" in New Mexico. It's a tough decision, I am really trying to think "simple", and be as bare bones as possible. But that's easy to think when you aren't out on the trail wishing you had aero bars! It's such an epic event, little decisions can have big implications....! all the best with your planning and preparing, enjoying reading your posts....

    ReplyDelete