Gear Review - SP Dynamo System

/
0 Comments
Well I have finally got round to writing up a review about my SP Dynamo Hub. I have been using it now through the summer and can genuinely say - this is one piece of gear, I dont know why it was not top of my list for the Tour Divide in 2013.

This piece of gear really just gets on and does its job, leaving you one less worry on the bike. I built the dynamo hub onto a ZTR Crest 29er which CyclePath in Oakville built up nicely. Overall I dont think it is significantly heavier - and to be honest - its weight to value ratio in my opinion is well worth it.

My first impression before fitting the wheel onto my bike was that the drag from the dynamo hub was a bit worrisome when just turning it in your hands.  It really felt sluggish and quite 'notchy' I could not understand how it would not impact the performance of the bike. Anyway, I got it home and paired it up with a Biologic Reecharge unit. The installation of the hub to the Biologic unit was pretty straight forward and once I had zip-tied up all the cables, it was time for a test.

Straight out the gates I can tell you that the wheel ran smooth and the vibrations from the wheels were no different that what I normally got from my Continental X-Kings. I could not feel any drag from the hub and everything worked as it should.

The power from the hub charges up the Reecharge unit in a couple of hours, but to be honest I always wall charge it before a long ride, so it is never flat anyway when starting off. I have also invested in a light external Anker battery to also use as an overflow, so that I can have portable power if I ever need it.

So having run this setup now for about 6 months - I must say I do not have any reservations about Shutter Precision (SP) build quality of the dynamo. I have used it on all kinds of terrain, some really rough trails and some long and dusty trails without any issues. I have not found speed to be an issue either when charging - even on slow climbs - I am still aware that there is some charge going to the battery. I am more cautious with deep water now, rather opting to carry through deep creeks than blasting through. The hub has been seriously doused in some heavy storms - but did not seem an issue for the hub.

The only nagging issue I have with my setup is that I mounted the Reecharge unit on the stem, between my aerobars which makes it difficult to see the LED indicators on the side - but they are not the most visible at the best of times - so it is just something that I have chosen to live with.

Overall I would not hesitate to anyone look at going this route to get this setup.


You may also like

No comments: