Gear check time...

/
0 Comments

With my training schedule winding down over the next few weeks, my focus has shifted from time on the bike to planning what to take on my bike. My to-do list seems to be never ending for this event and there is a very slim line between necessity and luxury for an event like this. Often on stage races in the past I always err on the side of over-preparedness, however for this event I am certainly trying to do it on a minimalist setup. The added weight of nice to haves over a 4,5k km race will certainly add up and I know I will regret a loaded bike on the first snowy push!

The biggest bulk on my bike setup is my sleeping setup. However, this is not an area I am prepared to sacrifice. Although I have opted for a lightweight sleeping bag and winter liner combination (First Ascent Lightweight bag) I have coupled that with a top of the range mattress and bivvy which I hope will insulate my setup on the colder nights. The weight of this is relatively light compared to the recovery benefit of a good night sleep will hopefully pay off.

The area where I need to spend some time is cutting down my "odds-and-ends" which most is falling into the nice to have category but which I don't want to be regretting not having in the middle of The Basin. Being a rookie for this event does make it difficult to decide what comes and what stays.

I suppose at the end of the day whatever does not cross over the start line in Banff with me in just over 16 days will have to be forgotten about and done without.



You may also like

No comments: