Setting up for Success.

/
0 Comments
I have always felt comfortable on my bike. I have really never battled with the symptoms that ultra-distance riders sometimes suffer from, such as stiff lower backs, numb hands or sore hamstrings.  So, always presumed that everything on my bike was perfect. However, after attempting the Tour Divide in 2013 and pulling out due to blown knees, I began to look into this matter in more detail. The more reports I read the more I began to understand the importance of a good bike fit and the significance of a correct bike setup. And possibly as important, understanding the ‘why’ of the adjustments being done to correctly set up your bike so you can tweak them yourself if a certain condition presents itself when out on a route.

So armed with my Tour Divide bike I headed off to my local Retul shop to get a correct fitting. I chose this for a number of reasons but the biggest factor was that Scott, the lead mechanic @ Dundas Speed Shop has a long pedigree of working with mountain bikers and their setups at the highest level in competitive cycling. 

Well, to cut a long story short after an hour and a half of being stuck, filmed, measured, tweaked and turned Scott ended up making some pretty radical adjustments to my bike setup with the most significant being – seat height and lateral adjustment.  But also a multitude of others cleat position, Ergon grip position and bar end adjustment. The end result was a very different but oddly enough more comfortable riding position on my bike. 

I took myself out yesterday for a short high intensity spin on my bike and was pleasantly surprised at with the results. The biggest result was I felt I could push more power with considerably less effort and maintain a much higher cadence for longer without tiring. So all things considered, I certainly would make this the #1 priority for anyone to get done ahead of the Tour Divide. My suggestion would also be to get it done early so you have your training miles in this new position rather that adjusting to it on the route.  Ultimately, the proof will be in the pudding come June 2015 – but if yesterdays ride was anything to go by its certainly a big positive step in the right direction. 



You may also like

No comments: